Saturday, January 8, 2011

Oh, Thank Heaven

So, I finally got my act together and bought an app that would allow me to blog from the iPad, which actually belongs to work. Seriously, I am actually, really, truly, honestly researching the functionality of the thing because I think it would be cool to have all our account managers using them. If Apple is reading this, we would love to be product testers...

Anyway, nothing earth-shattering about this post. Just practicing typing on the iPad. So far, so good. It would be nice if the little kickstand on the case would act right. Guess I need to break it in some more.

I try to make it a practice not to talk about work in my blog (or anywhere else in my real life), but since I just admitted using a work tool for private use, I will throw work a little bone.

Alex, I work for the largest youth-serving organization in the United States. (If that isn't true, it's close, and it sounds good.) I love it. I love its mission, I subscribe to its beliefs, I follow its policies, sometimes blindly. Ok, always blindly.

For the past decade, I have been the editor for a series of adult training course materials that tout the benefits of servant leadership. The more I practice these theories myself, the more I would like to see every person in our organization take that course. I won't pretend to be good at servant leadership, but I will tell you that my heart is in the right place. Servant leadership needs to be tempered with discipline. And sometimes I am not the best at that, either.

But it's a new year, and i am determined to exercise servant leadership, discipline, and courage. I am keeping good notes about the year because my memory is nanosecond short. I owe my folks and my position the benefit of consistency, thoughtful decision-making, and emotional intelligence. Last year, as you know if you've read other posts, was a tough one personally for me; too many things going on outside the office to effectively deal with goings-on in the office. This year, I am forcing myself to balance. Work does not come home with me to the extent it once did. I am parcelling my time and scheduling deadlines. I am giving all my staff members a piece of myself, every day. I am attending my clients to effectively meet their needs, and I am doing what I. Can to educate them on how whey can help me help them.

So now I am rambling. And this was going to be a "practice" post... Ok, I'm done. Until tomorrow.

###

Location:Home

No comments:

Post a Comment