Sunday, January 9, 2011

Snow, or Another Reason to Want to Skip Work Tomorrow

I love snow. I love standing at the window watching it pour to the ground, like God ripped open a sack of flour and its contents are spilling all over heaven's kitchen. I love the way it kisses the tops of branches, leaving the bottoms stark and bare to accentuate their lovely patterns. I love the way a good snowfall paints the landscape in a monochrome, proving to the world that the simplest beauty is the best.

What is there more calm and serene than snow falling silently on a cold night? Maybe that is why I love it so much: I'm jealous. I covet its calmness, its simplicity, its singular purpose. I have so little of that in my life, and i want it desperately.

Snow doesn't demand respect, reciprocity, or revenge. It has no interest in backbiting, bullying, or belittling. Tomorrow, it doesn't matter whether the office is closed, its opening delayed, or its workers all just forget to show up. Tomorrow, whether the roads are clear or mottled with commuters, I'll be in my chair, on time, as always, ready for another week. Tomorrow will be the opposite of snow.

Monday.

###


Location:Home

No comments:

Post a Comment