Friday, January 14, 2011

100 in 200

A good friend recently challenged me, and I am seriously considering taking him up on it. Well, I am going to try to reach the goal, I just dont know if it's physically possible. But, as he has reminded me, if you can see it, you can be it.

I see myself in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, whooping it up with some of the finest people on Earth. I see two beads of wood hanging around my neck, symbolizing the reward for all my efforts (OK, you don't get the beads until later, but work with me here).

What's stopping me? Well, let's just say to gain admission to the mountain, I must lose about a third of myself. I have to pass Philmont's medical exam, which entails among other things, meeting the height/weight requirements. So, in essence, in order to be present on that mountaintop as the embers die down on the campfire, I am going to have to lose half a pound a day for the next 200 days.

So, my goal in words is this: To lose enough weight by August 1 that I am not only well within the specified height/weight limits, but also free of other health problems that would exclude me from passing the medical evaluation for participation in this training course.

Is this goal SMART? Let's see.

I believe it is specific. I don't need to put in the numbers here for you all to see exactly how fat I am, but I know them. And believe me, they are always hanging around to torture me. I have specifically said what needs to be done to reach this goal, and I know what I have to do to get there.

It's definitely measurable. Ugh. I hate scales. And if my doctor chooses to lower the dosages on certain medications, that is a measure, too.

Is it attainable? Yes. It probably is humanly possibly to do this... I didn't say it would be easy.

It's definitely relevant. Losing 100 pounds will save my life. Period. Getting to hang out at camp with some really cool people is, in the great scheme of things, just (low-carb) gravy.

And it's timely. If it's not done by the first of August, I will be missing the boat. The course starts on August 11.

I'll have lots of support. Stefanie will yell at me every day. Michael will review my workout logs. Scott will do whatever Scott does. And various friends and family who know what's going on will lend supportive words. And then one day, someone who doesn't know will go, "Are you losing weight?" and I will respond, "Well, maybe." and inside I will be ready to explode with excitement. At that moment, it will all become real to me: Yes, you got out of this terrible rut. Yes, you can be active and healthy and happy with yourself again. Yes!

So, I have to decide how badly I want to go to Philmont. And how badly I want to live to see age 93.

Footnote: Before you start screeching at me about how unhealthy this plan of action is, let me just remind you of the relevant component of the SMART goal: If I don't lose this weight, I will die before my time. And I have plans. I need time. And nobody can do it for me. This I have to do it for myself. And, let's face it, if I die, who will write my blog?

No comments:

Post a Comment